Who should read this?
Do you want to:
- Create artwork for the GlassHouse application, and check that it looks good in a working copy of the application?
- Change the code of the GlassHouse application itself?
If the answer to one of these questions is Yes, then read on. If not, you can return to the main Dashboard.
You do not need to set up a development suite if you simply want to:
- Create artwork, and have someone else test it for you
- Create content, such as stories or audio recordings
- Test the latest online version.
The GlassHouse project relies on a number of free open source applications. A complete development suite requires:
- A local Apache server to deliver the web pages used by the application
- A MySQL database to store the online data for the application
- A Python 3.2.2 environment for creating and editing server-side scripts
- A PHP coding environment, so that you can understand the original server-side scripts
- A means to obtain the source code from the Launchpad site: Bazaar
This Space on the Lexogram wiki explains in detail how to set up your computer so that you can change the code or the artwork of the GlassHouse application itself.
The instructions for setting up a development platform on each of the major operation systems are given below:
Obtaining a working copy of the source code
The source code for the project is hosted on Launchpad.
To download the latest code and to commit changes, you can use Bazaar.